When I was younger, my sisters and I would always spend every summer at my grandparents house in Iowa. I vaguely remember that they had a cellar that led to underneath their house. My sister and I would always dare each other to go down into that cold, dark and dingy place. With cobwebs in every corner and giant spiders that you won’t see in daylight. One think that my young mind remembered was that my grandmother always had jars and canned food on every shelf. Most were picked and others were jams. Most were home-made of course, because what russian grandmother buys store-bought cans, am I right?! My favorite out of all those condiments was grandma’s home-made blueberry jam. Sometimes she’d make blueberry pie and sometimes she’d take it out to have it with some tea.
Though this recipe is not identical to my grandmothers recipe, it does hold a lot of childhood memories that I figured I’d share it with all of you!
This blueberry jam is fit for all occasions, and is delightful to eat by the mouth-full! I tweaked this recipe up to be sugar-free, and it turned out amazing and so juicy that I couldn’t help but give out the recipe! It has only five ingredients and is so easy to make that you’ll have to double the recipe and save some for later!
1. Though this is a very short recipe, still gather all of your ingredients together so that it’ll be a breeze and less of a headache!
2. In a small saucepan, add fresh blueberries, sukrin gold, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Stir until just combined.
3. Cook the blueberries over medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until it begins to thicken up.
4. Remove it from the heat and let it cool down completely. If it’s still runny, it will thicken up some more as it cools.
5. You can put this in a mason jar and store it for later in the fridge or freezer, or use it immediately because it’s just so heavenly!
6. And don’t forget to enjoy it! Tastes amazing with some Russian crepes or on toast!
*** Sukrin Gold is a brown sugar substitute that you can probably find at whole-foods, or on Amazon. It’s made only with Erythritol, Stevia, and Malt extract. It tastes just like brown sugar and is low on the glycemic index for those looking out for your health or have health issues! Why should you sacrifice sweets if you can substitute it for something much healthier and not even notice the difference??
*** If you don’t have sukrin gold or don’t have the money to buy some at the moment, you can use coconut sugar, regular brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, or even regular white sugar. Or go for the all natural and not put any sugar in at all since blueberries are naturally sweet!