The Budapest Roll was originally created by a Swedish pastry chef Ingvar Strid in the 1950's. And surprisingly, it has nothing to do with Hungary's capital Budapest. This decadent desert is honestly quite easy, although you may need to take a deep breath before rolling it up. The soft and airy meringue is filled with nutty goodness and whipped cream with tangy tangerines. It's gobble worthy and a melt-in-your-mouth sweetness!
Why Is Budapest So Famous?
Well, as I've mentioned before, this recipe was originally created by a pastry chef in the late 1950's to 1960's. You can watch this Facebook video where Ingvar Strid himself, talks about the creation of this dessert.
For starters, we all can recognize that it is rather tasty! But one thing that this dessert excels in is the nut meringue with whipped cream! Rather genius, if you ask me! You get a mouthful full of nutty goodness and some creamy citrus filling to go along with it!
What Makes This Budapest Amazing
- The Flavor. In the most amazing combos, nutty meringue with a citrus whipped cream filling. There's no room for discussion. It's a simply fact.
- The Texture. I will continue to rant about that nutty meringue until you try it! It really is to die for! That extra crunch takes it to the next level.
- Easy to Make. I know this looks a little challenging at first, but believe me, you won't know until you attempt this delicious dessert for yourself. It really is simple. Just make sure you have a handheld or electric mixer at your finger tips.
- Gluten Free. Yes. You heard me right. This dessert is naturally gluten free since you don't need any flour or gluten to make it! Pinky Promise.
Ingredients In The Roll
For the Roll Cake
- Large Eggs. You only need the whites only. The yolks you can save for later like breakfast or make my Lemon Mousse or Lemon Curd.
- Walnuts. Finely chopped. You can use other nuts if you prefer.
- Instant Pudding. This Makes the meringue nice and fluffy, and makes it come together faster. And it also subtly sweetens it as well.
For the Filling
- Heavy Whipping Cream. The base of the cream filling.
- Vanilla Extract. Optional if you don't have some. But totally recommend. Makes the dessert smell so wonderfully and gives it that extra little hint. You can also use other things like Rum or other extracts.
- Powdered Sugar. Sweetens the dessert. And makes the cream fluffier.
- Tangerines or Mandarins. What ever you have lying around. You can also use oranges or other fruit!
- Bittersweet Chocolate. Melted. Beautifully decorates the dessert and adds some chocolatey flavor.
How Long Will It Last
It really depends how fast you eat it! But typically, this will last about two to three days out on the counter, but its better if you store it in the fridge, which will last for about a week. Wrap it in plastic wrap, or store it in an airtight container.
More Recipes To Try